Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Honesty...hmmmm....

Hello everyone! I have been scampering about today getting ready for my class, and thinking...a lot. This semester I am getting to take a lot of fun classes, in order to fill some requirements needed in the state of California to graduate. I am taking a Speech class, a Sociology class as well as Spanish.

In my Speech class I have a fabulous professor who talks a lot about honesty. He asks if we think we are honest and tells us his points of view on honesty and I find it both fun and refreshing. In today's society I think the norm is for people to be untrue. This doesn't mean that you are a bad person it just means that you are not completely honest 100% of the time. A fact that my professor says he works at daily and still doesn't think he has been able to do.

So as I was getting ready for school today I was thinking of ways that I have been dishonest in my own life. I am a people pleaser, and that means in order to make you happy sometimes I will lie right to your face in an attempt to please you, other times it means that I will be dishonest with myself in order to attempt to please you. The sad thing is that my people pleasing has not pleased anyone, myself included. So I am trying to change this. I want to be honest in my life. I am not sure who said this but I really love the quote "honesty without compassion is brutality." I do not want to hurt people but I want to be honest. I have hit somewhat of a road block though...how do you tell someone that you don't want to meet them for lunch anymore without hurting their feelings? Weigh in let me know what you think, I have tried to just ignore it however at this point I am starting to feel a bit stalked! Let me know, and just so you all know the great thing about this blog is that it has been honest. I think it is easier to be honest when you don't have to see people's reactions.

Anyway I know that this post is not as fun as some of my others but I thought that I would share with all of you my goal to be more honest and hopefully one day I will be able to be 100% honest. Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. Good post and great resolution. :)
    I agree that it is easier to be honest when you don't have to see people's reactions. Probably the reason why I blog :P

    ReplyDelete