Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Part I

Drum roll please……. It is time for the long awaited post (maybe not long awaited) anyway I want to start the post by acknowledging all the amazing people who have blogs that I read. I have often said that I wanted to be a little more creative with my posts and so in the name of creativity I am going to play with the font off an on through out this post and we will see how that goes.

So as promised here is what Greg and I did for Memorial Day Weekend! I guess I should start with the fact that my wonderful husband is insanely organized. So he had been planning for last weekend for a long time. Greg set up reservations for a campsite near Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks several months ago. We both had Friday and Monday off from school so we started out early on Friday morning. The drive there was fairly long about six hours. Greg is always looking for neat things to see along the way and on this fine day he decided that we should take the scenic rout there on highway 245…just a side note here, I hate math but I have a new equation to teach you: highway 245 = car sick. Yup this road was the most winding road in the world, sure the view was beautiful but you know that a road is bad when even the driver ends up car sick!

By the time we made it into the park it was about 2:00pm and we had to set up camp, this took a little bit longer than usual so we were unable to go on a hike that first day. You may remember in a previous post that Greg and I had Thai food while camping with some friends of ours; well this time Greg and I decided to give it a go ourselves, here is what we learned: Thai food while camping is amazing; but next time we will skip the addition of hot dogs to our Thai food. After dinner Greg and I set off to collect firewood (our camp was in the national forest so this was perfectly legal). Once we returned a ranger was giving a talk on native birds in the area; it was an awesome talk and she brought two different kinds of owls and a hawk with her! I should mention that prior to the talk Greg and I were walking around the campground and saw the ranger walking around in full costume (a black and white 1800’s style dress) Greg got excited and exclaimed “Look! The people in that camp have a nanny with a cane!” That still cracks me up… After the talk we started a camp fire and after about 20 minutes we decided that we were tired and put it out and went to bed…it was 8:30pm.

I am going to stop here and update with the rest of our adventures on Tuesday. I have decided that giving stories in bits and pieces makes people come back for more! Let me know what you think of the font!


Janet




Greg is all smiles on the way there!

Me being a dork!


Greg cooking our dinner...Thai food with hot dogs!


2 comments:

  1. I had trouble with the blog uploading some of my formatting. The only font changes should be in color but for some reason it decided to switch between fonts throughout the post. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOKS FINE TO ME!!!I GOT IT TO PRINT OUT TO SHOW
    GRANDPA WHAT YOU'RE UP TO. HE USED TO PICK SCENIC ROUTES
    WITH CONSEQUENCES. GRANDMA

    ReplyDelete